What I Have Learned From Darren Rowse

5 comments - Post a comment

I was very thrilled when Problogger (Darren) accepted my EntreCard business card to be on his blog on 28th May. I paid for it 1024 credits which is a lot, but I thought it is worth it, just to see how traffic will change for that day. I was preparing for my debut at Problogger, ready for my little experiment, even made a plan to fire new post on 27th, something complementary to one of the Darren’s home page stories, so visitors can have nice reading flow.

But than, after five days of expecting and just 24 hours before my appearance on Problogger, Darren canceled my ad! This was strange. I wondered why he did that. If he thought that my blog is in collision with his he could just canceled my ad on first day, but he didn’t. He actually accepted my ad and canceled it 24 hours before appearing.


And then I realized what is the story behind this. Price of advertising via EntreCard on your blog is a function of number of waiting and accepted ads combined. This means that if I have 3 ads accepted and 2 ads in waiting queue, price for next blogger will be 2*2*2*2*2 which is 32. More people accepted or in the waiting queue, higher price. In this way you can manipulate the EC price system and have your price skyrocket. Maybe this is main reason why some mediocre blogs price is 2048 or more credits.

It’s not clear to me how I didn’t figured this out from beginning, but never mind, I should thank Darren for teaching me this lesson, among many other useful stuff.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

This Post has 5 Comments Add your own!
Jonny Bonny - 27 May 2008 at 10:32

Hah! Sneaky!

I knew this new fancy schmancy system of Entrecard would crumble like a pack of dodgy cards on hangover Sunday.

Darren is a smart man though, but I doubt he did this for the reason you suspect.

Rebecca - 28 May 2008 at 07:50

my love for entrecard died long ago. My bounce rates went through the roof. Check ebay for entrecard and find the real reason.

Sandra Cobb - 29 May 2008 at 10:32

Thanks for the info... I've been using entrecard for a week and I have made a few friends... I think it's great! I've had more comments too, but I've been commenting also. I'll have to give it more time to see what I think.

cutegirl - 3 June 2008 at 06:56

Entrecard paid Darren Rowse for the initial publicity, but now he's off the payroll, which is the reason why he disabled ads. The bounce rates aren't really caused by Entrecard are they? I have a low bounce rate, and am an active EC member since the start.

It seems to really depend on how one uses the opportunity of exposure. Whether they reached you through search or through Entrecard, the point is they reached you.

admin - 4 June 2008 at 15:31

thanks all for respond. i wasn't aware Darren has disabled EC widget until I read about it on EntreCard forum. that day when he accepted my add he was still in the game. i guess it is just bad timing on my side and bad luck.

but i still thing lesson learned is valuable. EC system has some holes. if 10 of us come to agreement to apply for ads on each others, jump into waiting queue and stay there, everyone will have 1024 credits worth blog! Anyone interested :)

Post a Comment